13.11.10

Grumpy Old Men comedian at The Elgiva, Chesham


ARTHUR Smith is a stand up comedian best known for his ‘original comic performances with a touch of rudeness thrown in for good pleasure.’
Having started his career back in the 80s, performing on the alternative comedy scene, Arthur has since graced the worlds of radio and television and regularly appears on the BBC.
He is well known for his appearances on TV’s ‘Grumpy Old Men’, ‘Q.I.’, ‘Have I Got News for You’ and ‘Balham Bash’, as well as Radio 2’s ‘Smith Lectures’.
His latest plans see him setting off on a 15 date national live tour this autumn with a visit to Chesham’s Elgiva Theatre on November 18. I caught up with Smith to talk about the past, present and future.
“I’m really looking forward to the show at Chesham,” was the first thing Smith said.
When asked why and what it is he loves about Chesham, he replied: “Chesham is the greatest place on earth, although I have never been there.”
Smith was born in Bermondsey, South London and although he said he never knew that he wanted to be a comedian early on, he explained that he always knew what he was good at.
“I’ve always had a taste for words so that’s why I enjoy writing,” he said. “I’m not much of a thinker, but I am an extrovert.”
When asked how he likes to make every show slightly different to the last he said: “I like to find out about the place where I am performing beforehand so that I can incorporate local knowledge into my performance.
“So with Chesham I will find out which famous people have lived there, what exciting things have happened there and other interesting facts to make the show that bit more different.”
The 55-year-old comedian has also been known to include nudity in his shows. When asked about this he explained that he likes variety.
He said: “I like to experiment on stage. Some of it will be improvisation. I might sing my song Arthur Smith and the amazing dancing bear, there may be nudity who knows.
“Nudity can liven a place up, although as I’m getting older I’ve sort of put that to one side. But I do have a rather funny pair of pants that I might wear though.”
Finally, I asked Smith about his inspirations in terms of his chosen career.
“Life is a constant series of inspirations and the world is full of funny things happening around us all the time,” he said. “Also, my dad was a funny man, so I think that has had an influence on my personality.”
Smith is a man of many talents but it’s clear to see that stand up comedy is where his heart lies.
“I don’t imagine that there will ever be a time when I won’t want to go on stage and make people laugh,” he said.
For more about Arthur Smith and to book tickets visit www.arthursmith.co.uk.
Arthur Smith- At Large is at the Elgiva on November 18 at 8pm. Tickets are 316 (£15 concessions). Age restricted- 16+. Go to www.elgiva.com or call 01494582900.

No comments:

Post a Comment