2.1.11

Matt Lucas receives a standing ovation as he takes to the stage in Les Misèrables


He's the rotund comedian who made a name for himself in BBC comedy show Little Britain.
But Matt Lucas took to the stage in a different capacity earlier this year, when he played Thénardier in a huge production of Les Misèrables at London's O2 Arena.
The 36-year-old comedian's journey from originally learning the role to the eventual performance in October was documented in BBC2 show Les Mis At 25: Matt Lucas Dreams The Dream.
Speaking about playing the comic villain Thénardier, and his love of Cameron Mackintosh's hugely popular musical, Lucas said: 'As a child, I fell in love with musicals. My parents took me and a friend to see Oliver! when I was five or six and I was just blown away by it.
'I continued to go and watch shows, my parents would take me and my grandparents would take me. It felt like a safer world than the one I was in. For me the world of musicals was a real refuge - long before I was gay.
'For my 13th birthday I was taken to see Les Mis and from that moment on it has been my favourite musical.'

No comments:

Post a Comment